SALT (Sodium Chloride, NaCl)
The word “SALT” is derived from the roman word for salt crystals sal is derived from Salus, the Goddess of Health. Salt has over 14 000 domestic and industrial applications. Salt produced at Botash contains between 98.0 % – 99.0 % sodium chloride.
At Botswana Ash, Salt is a complementary product resulting from the production of Soda Ash. There are three types of Salt that are produced and sold at Botswana Ash:
- Chemical Grade Coarse Salt
- Coarse Salt
- Fine salt
Salt produced at our plant is amongst the purest found anywhere in the world.
Chemical Grade Coarse Salt
Chemical Grade Coarse Salt contains 98.75 % sodium chloride. This grade of salt accounts for about 50 % of the total coarse sales volume. It is sold to Sasol Polymers in South Africa, which is part of the Sasol Group of Companies. It is used primarily for the manufacture of Poly Vinyl Chloride, which is an input in the production of Chlorine and Caustic Soda.
Coarse Salt produced contains 98.5 % sodium chloride. Coarse salt is sold in the regional markets of Botswana, South Africa, Malawi, Zimbabwe, Zambia and the Democratic Republic of Congo. Coarse Salt has various domestic applications such as for the preservation of food products e.g. fish.
Fine Salt (table or refined salt) contains 99.0 % sodium chloride. Like Coarse Salt, Fine Salt is sold in the regional markets of Botswana, South Africa, Malawi, Zimbabwe, Zambia and the Democratic Republic of Congo. It has various industrial and domestic applications.
- Food preservative
- As a spice (to add flavour to food)
- Carrier of essential trace elements such as iodine and selenium in humans and animals
In terms of industrial applications, some of the uses of salt include:
- Softening of “hard” water, that is removal of elements such as magnesium and calcium that contribute to water hardness
- Bleaching of pulp to manufacture paper
- Standardization of dyes batches in the textiles industry
- De-icer in Snow Belt areas in the developed world where snow is a common phenomenon
Submit Product Enquiry
Please note that this is NOT an official order, only an enquiry.